Mac and cheese is a delicious comfort food and a great quick lunch for littles. Who can say no to warm and gooey cheese? I usually buy the Organic Annie's variety at the store, but lately have set a goal for myself to make more of an effort to cook from scratch and stop buying processed foods. This is a great way to control what your family is eating and make healthy substitutions wherever you can or want to.
What You Need
2 cups of macaroni or shell noodles (I use the whole grain kind)
1⁄4 cup butter
1⁄4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
2 cups of skim milk
2 cups of shredded cheese (I used gouda, mozzarella and marble)
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Rinse and strain.
2. In a medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper, then slowly add milk.
3. Stir until blended and bubbly.
4. Stir in the shredded cheese until melted. Try not to eat the gooey cheese mixture as it is (this is the most difficult step!).
5. Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir to evenly coat the macaroni with cheese.
This mac + cheese recipe is SO good, truly the best I have ever had, and it is almost as easy and quick to prepare as the boxed kinds!
~ Misty Blue of the Us & Him Blog