Hi there! I’m Kadee and I blog over at Oh So Delicioso where we love food. I’m thrilled to be sharing a kid friendly seafood recipe here on the Replay Clean Eats Blog. I grew up in Northern Utah, where they have an abundance of stream, lakes, and mountains. Some of my fondest memories are fishing and camping with my family. I remember my dad waking up at the crack of dawn to cast his fishing pole, and sneaking off to fish during a rainstorm while my mom and us kids played cards in the tent. We would fish for our dinner and it was such a treat! I can still taste rainbow trout wrapped in foil and cooked on a campfire.
I was exposed to seafood at a young age, and so I have grown up enjoying it. I think introducing foods to your kids early is key. Although – I have one child who will eat anything, and one who eats next to nothing, so sometimes you just have a stubborn kid. Keep introducing and encouraging and soon enough they’ll try the foods you serve to them.
One fish that I remember loving as a kid was shrimp – and boy do I still love it today! As a kid I loved that shrimp was a finger food and I could pick it up by the tail and have a big tasty bite. So today I am sharing a kid friendly shrimp recipe.
These teriyaki shrimp lollipops are sure to be a hit with the whole family. I started with a few fresh fruits and veggies, and some nice jumbo shrimp. I threaded them on a wooden skewer and did a quick grill. I ended by basting some homemade teriyaki sauce over the skewer and ta da! Dinner in minutes! Serve with some steamed rice and fresh fruits and veggies for the perfect summer dinner that young and old will enjoy.
Let me give you the run down.
Teriyaki Shrimp Lollipops
12 jumbo shrimp
1 large zucchini
12 chunks of pineapple (fresh or canned)
12 cherry tomatoes
12 wooden skewers
1. Trim skewers so they are about 6 inches long, soak in water while you prep other ingredients.
2. Slice zucchini about ¾ inch thick.
3. Thread skewers with one slice of zucchini, one shrimp, one chunk of pineapple, and one cherry tomato.
4. Grill over medium high heat 2 minutes each side.
5. Baste skewers with teriyaki sauce and flip once more, basting opposite side and flipping once more.
6. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup white vinegar
½ cup Worcestershire sauce 2/3 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tsp cornstarch
1. In a medium bowl combine all ingredients and whisk until smooth.
2. Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium high heat until thickened.