Looking for ways to sneak veggies into your littles diet?! These spinach banana muffins are a healthy alternative to sugary breakfast options and they taste great!
What you need:
• 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (one of the single serving cups)
• 1 large egg
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 cups fresh organic spinach (uncooked)*
• 2 ripe bananas
• 1/3 cup organic pure maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• a dash of salt
What you'll do:
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Put the first seven ingredients (applesauce, egg, vanilla, spinach, banana, maple syrup and coconut oil) in a blender or food processor and blend.
3. Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in a smaller mixing bowl.
4. Add the wet spinach mixture from blender to the dry ingredients.
5. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. You can use a spoon or spatula. The mixture might be dense. Add a splash of milk to loosen it up if you need to, but the mixture should resemble a thick pancake dough. It won’t pour easily, will need a spoon.
6. Scoop the batter into greased muffins tins.
7. Bake at 350 degrees (12 minutes for mini-muffins or 17 minutes for regular-sized muffins).